JEWEL [joo-uh l] noun: a cut and polished precious stone; gem
Singapore is probably the only city in the world where locals travel to the airport to spend their weekends. And understandably so. Consistently voted 'World's Best Airport', Changi Airport is already pretty awesome and it is about to get a lot more amazing come 2019.
Before we bring you behind-the-scenes, let us share a little more on what you can look forward to at Jewel Changi Airport, just in case you need any convincing.
Experience the beautiful outdoors, indoors
With Singapore's largest indoor garden, over 1,400 trees and palms at the Canopy Park, experience the tranquility or go on an adventure at the
Get lost in the Canopy Mazes and find yourself in the world's first mirror maze set in a garden. For the gutsier ones, go on the glass-bottom Canopy Bridge for a unique perspective of Jewel Changi Airport from 23-metres above ground.
Let's go chase waterfalls
An architectural marvel, witness the magnificence of the world's tallest indoor waterfall at a height of
9,000 pieces of glass
18,000 pieces of steel beams
Over 6,000 steel nodes
6,000 tonnes in weight
How each piece of specially manufactured glass is installed:
1. The glass panel is inspected at the ground level of the construction site and prepared prior to the actual
2. A hydraulic pump (with a capacity of approximately 800kg), is installed to lift one piece of glass panel (average weight of around 250kg – 300kg). Belts are also fastened around the glass panel as an additional safety measure.
3. Right before the lifting, a supervisor scans the QR code on the glass panel to verify the exact installation spot on the facade.
4. The glass panel is lifted to a height of 45m for the installation of the roof.
5. A group of three to four
6. Once the glass is in position, the
The installation process is complex due to the sheer number of components and the custom-made glass panels and steel nodes. Precise coordination and meticulous execution
In fact, no single piece of glass
To date, Jewel Changi Airport is 75% completed and on-track for opening in 2019. In the meantime, here's a first look:
So what's next on your travel bucket list? Checking out Jewel Changi Airport or exploring any of our properties in Singapore and beyond? Tag us @CapitaLand on your next adventure!