Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the CapitaLand Sustainability X Challenge?
Launched in September 2020 in conjunction with CapitaLand’s 2030 Sustainability Master Plan, the inaugural CapitaLand Sustainability X Challenge will source for innovations on a global scale to meet the Group’s sustainability targets aligned with business needs as set out in the Master Plan. It is the first sustainability challenge by a Singapore real estate company on a global scale. Through the challenge, CapitaLand will source and deploy impactful and scalable innovative solutions. Read here to learn more about the CapitaLand 2030 Sustainability Master Plan.
2. Who is CapitaLand?
CapitaLand Limited (CapitaLand) is one of Asia’s largest diversified real estate groups. Headquartered and listed in Singapore, it owns and manages a global portfolio worth about S$134.7 billion as at 30 June 2020. CapitaLand’s portfolio spans across diversified real estate classes which includes commercial, retail; business park, industrial and logistics; integrated development, urban development; as well as lodging and residential. With a presence across more than 220 cities in over 30 countries, the Group focuses on Singapore and China as its core markets, while it continues to expand in markets such as India, Vietnam, Australia, Europe and the USA.
CapitaLand has one of the largest real estate investment management businesses globally. It manages seven listed real estate investment trusts (REITs) and business trusts as well as over 20 private funds. Since it pioneered REITs in Singapore with the listing of CapitaLand Mall Trust in 2002, CapitaLand’s REITs and business trusts have expanded to include Ascendas Real Estate Investment Trust, CapitaLand Commercial Trust, Ascott Residence Trust, CapitaLand Retail China Trust, Ascendas India Trust and CapitaLand Malaysia Mall Trust.
3. Why is CapitaLand presenting a sustainability innovation challenge?
CapitaLand launched its 2030 Sustainability Master Plan where we have set ourselves ambitious targets for the next decade. We want to source globally for new ideas and technologies to meet our bold sustainability ambitions and working with like-minded partners to create shared values.
CapitaLand believes in growing our business in a sustainable manner to create long-term value for our investors and improve the economic and social well-being of our communities. CapitaLand’s sustainability framework is centered around the ESG pillars- Environmental, Social and Governance. We have also added a 4th pillar Market Leadership which aims to push boundaries and exert market leadership. We have translated the ESG/Market Leadership pillars into three themes, which guide our Group to reach our sustainability targets:
- BUILD Portfolio Resilience & Resource Efficiency
- ENABLE Thriving &Future-Adaptive Communities
- ACCELERATE Sustainability Innovation & Collaboration
4. Who are Eco-Business and NUS Enterprise?
Eco-Business and NUS Enterprise are partnering with CapitaLand to deliver the CapitaLand Sustainability X Challenge.
Eco-Business is the leading digital media company serving Asia Pacific’s clean technology, smart cities, responsible business and sustainable development community. Its platforms and services include the award-winning Eco-Business.com site, custom publications, market research and whitepapers, multimedia production, consultancy, training and high-impact bespoke events catered to deepen discussions on sustainability.
NUS Enterprise, the entrepreneurial arm of the National University of Singapore (NUS), plays a pivotal role in advancing innovation and entrepreneurship at NUS and beyond. Its initiatives and global connections support a range of entrepreneurial journeys and foster ecosystem building in new markets. These initiatives augment and complement the University’s academic programmes and act as a unique bridge to industry well beyond Singapore’s shores. For more information, please visit https://enterprise.nus.edu.sg
5. Who is eligible?
You are eligible if you are:
a. Aged 18 years or older;
b. Not an employee of CapitaLand Group or Eco-Business ;
c. Not directly involved in the organization of or judging of the Challenge;
d. Not immediate family members of any person directly involved in the organisation of or judging of the Challenge; and
e. proposing a solution that is at least at Technology Readiness Level 6 : Solutions must have formulated its technology concept and application, undergone analytical and characteristic proof of concept. Components must be validated in a laboratory and relevant environment.
6. What are the challenge themes?
The themes are:
- Low carbon transition
- Water conservation & resilience
- Waste management & circular economy
- Healthy & safe buildings
Each theme has challenge statements that your solution should aim to address. More details can be found on the Submissions page here.
7. What if my solution fits more than one theme?
We advise that you submit your solution in the theme where it has a competitive advantage. In the event that the shortlisting panel assesses that your solution is a better fit for another theme, you will be informed and given the option for your solution to be evaluated in the alternative theme.
8. How do I enter the challenge?
The submission window for the CapitaLand Sustainability X Challenge is opened from 10 November 2020 1300hrs Singapore Time (GMT +8) to 1 February 2021 2359hrs Singapore Time (GMT +8). You will be able to submit your registration here.
All solutions that do not meet the requirements will be declined.
There is no cost to participate in the Sustainability X Challenge.
9. What happens after applicants have registered their interest to participate?
A complete submission to the Sustainability X Challenge consists of two stages.
Stage 1: Register your interest
Register your project details here. Should your project meet the challenge criteria, you will receive the full submission form on the submission platform. You will receive an invitation email from us that you may now access the full submission form. Please be sure to whitelist @submit.com as emails may land in your junk folder.
Should your project not meet the criteria, you will receive an email noting that your project has been declined.
Stage 2: Complete the full submission form
Upon receiving the invitation email from us, you may now access the full submission form. You will be required to provide more in-depth information on your innovation. At this stage, you can attach marketing decks, photographs or videos to support your proposal.
All form must be completed and submitted before 2359hrs Singapore time (GMT +8) on 1 February 2021.
10. How are finalists selected for the Sustainability X Challenge?
(1) Once submissions are closed, the organiser does a first cull to find the top entries per track. This number depends on the quality of submissions.
(2) Organiser gather investors, corporates and domain experts in each area to evaluate the shortlisted entries and pick 6 teams to advance to the finale. Submissions are selected based on the quality of their application, proof of concept and performance against the judging criteria.
(3) Shortlisted finalists are required to accept the invitation to pitch at the Finale event within 3 working days. In the event they fail to do so, their spot will be given to the next best submission.
11. Who will judge the projects and how?
Submissions will be reviewed and shortlisted by CapitaLand, Eco-Business and a panel of industry experts. For the CapitaLand Sustainability X Challenge Finale, a list and profile of judges will be published online prior to the event.
The submitted proposal must address the solution requirements stated under the relevant challenge statement. Projects will be judged according to the following criteria:
- What is the extent of the solution in meeting CL’s 2030 Sustainability Master Plan targets?
- Does the solution solve an existing problem in a more cost-effective or efficient manner?
- How significant is the quantifiable cost reduction or avoidance relative to the cost of implementation?
- What are the technologies/ideals underpinning the proposal? Are they original?
- Does the technology provide a new path to address energy & water efficiency or waste reduction?
- Potential to scale
- How close is the solution to commercialisation and how much funding is required until then?
- Can the solution be implemented in various countries for different property types in different asset class of properties?
12. When will I know if I’m selected?
The finalists will be announced by 31 Mar 2021.
13. What are my obligations as a finalist?
Participants who are shortlisted as finalists must:
(i) participate in mandatory mentorship programme and training and coaching sessions in April 2021 where employees from the CapitaLand Group and partners it appoints would help the Participants understand the CapitaLand Group’s business units better, refine the value proposition of their Submission and prepare for the Finale Round;
(ii) join the Grand Finale tentative scheduled for May 2021 and make a 7-minute pitch about their Submission to the Judging Panel of the Challenge; and
(iii) answer the judges’ questions in a 7-minute question and answer session after their pitch.
For finalists based outside of Singapore, they must use the *air tickets and accommodation provided by the organisers.
*In the likely event that the Covid-19 pandemic prevails in 2021, we will implement a virtual Grand Finale protocol and inform all finalists ahead of time.
14. Will the information in my submission be confidential?
The information you provide on your submission will only be available to the following individuals:
- The CapitaLand Sustainability X Challenge organizers (to manage the submission platform)
- The shortlisting panel (to evaluate your submission)
- The judges (to score your project)
- Our partners (to look for potential collaboration)
Your submission title and ideas may be announced in the public domain for the sole purpose of promoting the CapitaLand Sustainability X Challenge and its related events.
15. What are the awards of the CapitaLand Sustainability X Challenge?
Teams with the most ground-breaking solutions will get to pitch them at the CapitaLand Sustainability X Challenge Grand Finale tentatively scheduled for May 2021.
Two winners will each stand a chance to secure S$50,000 in project funding, mentoring by a CapitaLand business leader and the exclusive opportunity to pilot, test and implement innovations at select CapitaLand properties in over 220 cities and 30 countries. All submissions may also stand a chance to collaborate with select CapitaLand properties.
All costs required to undertake the pilot may be covered by the project funding including (but not limited to) equipment and software costs, material and production costs, and manpower costs (excluding founders’ salaries). Travel and business development costs will not be covered. Manpower costs should not exceed more than 20% of the grant.
16. Where will the CapitaLand Sustainability X Challenge Grand Finale be held?
The CapitaLand Sustainability X Challenge Grand Finale will be held in Singapore.