CapitaLand strives to realise its credo of ‘Building People’ in the areas of business and good corporate citizenship. From education and community development to health and the environment, the CapitaLand family invests time and resources in addressing these issues at the community level.
Building for Tomorrow
CapitaLand actively promotes volunteerism in its people, in line with its corporate values of building people to build for people and caring for the community. CapitaLand is the first company in Singapore to formalise a three-day Volunteer Service Leave system and expand its leave policy to include Volunteer No Pay Leave and Volunteer Part-Time Leave.
In 2011, over 200 volunteering activities were rolled out, which provided staff volunteers with many opportunities to interact with over 20,000 children beneficiaries supported by CapitaLand Hope Foundation. Key activities include group-wide international volunteer expeditions, CapitaKids Programme, P.E.E.K. educational property trails, Kids’ Food Fund and My Schoolbag. In 2011, CapitaLand staff volunteered over 9,800 hours across Asia and CapitaLand Hope Foundation donated more than S$5 million to its children beneficiaries.
Building a Greener Future
Initiatives undertaken by CapitaLand to positively impact the communities we operate in include those under the Group’s “Building a Greener Future” Programme such as:
- CapitaFrog, a cute mascot designed to reinforce the green message
- The Green for Hope Project which marries recycling and philanthropic efforts. CapitaLand Hope Foundation donates S$2 for every kilogramme of recyclable waste collected at CapitaLand properties to support underprivileged children
- Annual participation in the Earth Hour initiative by our properties in Asia Pacific and Europe
- Wear Less / Wear More Day campaign in conjunction with Earth Hour to encourage less reliance on air-conditioning or heaters to conserve energy
The Group's efforts paid off in 2011, where we
- Were named Green Builder of the Year in Asia Pacific Frost and Sullivan Green Excellence Award in 2011
- Achieved ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 certification in 11 countries
- Increased operational efficiency (per m2) since 2008 with energy and water savings of 11.1%
- Avoided utilities cost in excess of S$10.6 million since 2009
- Collected over 1.4 million kilogrammes of recyclable waste during 2011 Green for Hope programme
Read our Sustainability Report to learn more about our commitment to sustainability.
10-Year Giant Panda Collaborative Programme
As a global company, CapitaLand is proud to be the Presenting Sponsor and Conservation Donor of the 10-year Giant Panda Collaborative Programme. A pair of giant pandas – a three-year old male named Kai Kai and his two-year old female companion Jia Jia, will arrive in Singapore, as part of a collaboration to raise awareness for the conservation of pandas and development of a breeding programme for these critically endangered animals. On loan from China to Singapore, the pandas represent the 20th year of friendly relations between the two countries.