5 Low-Calorie Recipes To Beat The Dreaded Post-Lunch Slump
Overcome post-lunch drowsiness and give your lunch a makeover with these 5 healthy recipes!
Oh, the all familiar post-lunch slump. Do you often feel lethargic at 2pm and find yourself fighting hard to keep awake throughout the workday? Draining energy levels are usually caused by an insulin spike that leads to a blood sugar ‘crash’. Although there are many methods to counter the dreaded afternoon fatigue, the best way is to eat smart. Consuming smaller meal portions or choosing a balanced meal filled with lean proteins, whole grains and vegetables are great ways to stay energised and avoid a productivity dip.
Overcome post-lunch drowsiness and give your lunch a makeover with these 5 healthy recipes recommended by CapitaLand’s Workspace community!
1. Falafel and Silken Tofu Mixed Salad with Vegan Roasted Sesame Dressing by Bowl Chap
Experience the taste of umami with this spice-filled salad that packs a punch.
Bowl Chap’s gluten-free falafel and silken tofu mixed salad ingeniously blends in replacement ingredients without skimping on flavours. Curious how chia seeds can be used as a thickener? This recipe is suitable for people looking to adopt a vegan and gluten-free diet!
For home cooks who enjoy the good old way of creating an entire dish from scratch, we encourage you to give this recipe a try. Remember to share your meal on Instagram with @yourWorkplaceCommunity and @BowlChap (Psst, this is a moderately difficult recipe)!
Recipe: Falafel and silken tofu mixed salad with vegan roasted sesame dressing
A) Ingredients for vegan roasted sesame dressing:
10g whole white sesame seeds (roasted)
20g grinded white sesame seeds (roasted)
3 tbsp sesame oil
15g chia seed
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp tamari soy sauce (Gluten-free)
2 tsp lemon juice
3 tbsp boiled warm water/ distilled water
3 tbsp organic "eggless" mayonnaise
- Add in all ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Season with salt to taste.
B) Ingredients for falafel:
200g dried chickpea, soaked overnight
30g cilantro with roots, cleaned
200g brown onion, rough chopped
2 cloves peeled garlic
15g lemon juice
2 tbsp vegan roasted sesame dressing
5g coriander powder
5g chili powder
5g baking soda
A pinch of black pepper
50g chickpea Flour
5g sea salt
- Using a food processor, blend all wet ingredients until a grainy texture is achieved. To note: do not over blend into a puree.
- Mix all dry ingredients evenly into the blended ingredients.
- Put mixture into the chiller for about an hour for easy shaping. Remove mixture from the chiller and shape them using hand or use a falafel scoop to mold. You can prepare the mixture in advance and freeze it for further use.
- For immediate consumption, preheat in an air fryer at 180°C and cook it for 8-10mins.
C) Ingredients for silken tofu mixed salad:
80g fresh silken tofu
Fresh greens of your choice, i.e. romaine lettuces
A handful of cherry tomatoes
Place all vegetables in a bowl with the silken tofu and top it off with the cooked falafel. Drizzle the dressing generously on all ingredients and serve.
Bowl Chap is located at Galaxis, 1 Fusionopolis Place, #01-25, SG 138522
2. Bone broth soup by Greenwitch
Bone broths have been the latest buzz among health junkies of late. Nutritious and filling, bone broth soups are touted to boost collagen, support joint health, improve the immune system and many more. With regular consumption, this low-calorie protein-filled soup even aids in weight loss and overall health improvement.
What’s unique about Greenwitch’s bone broth soup recipe is the extra step taken to remove excess fats - making it an even healthier alternative! So, if you are craving for something soupy and healthy, do give this recipe a try!
Recipe: Bone broth soup
1kg chicken bones / joint or parts
500g chicken feet
1 large onion
1 stick celery
1 large carrot
50ml apple cider vinegar
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp sea salt
- Roast all the chicken parts for 30 minutes at 200 degrees in the oven, until caramelised.
- Place bones and vegetables into a large stock pot and add water to the brim.
- Simmer on low heat for 8-12 hours or use a pressure cooker and set it for 2 hours with natural release of pressure.
- Strain the broth through a fine mesh and let it cool to room temperature and serve.
PS: The fats will float to the top, leaving the gelatine and collagen at the bottom. Remove fats before consuming, if desired.
For storage, you may refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze the broth for up to 2 months.
For those who are craving for an instant bowl of bone broth soup, Greenwitch offers broth bowls at only $9.90. Up to 5 flavours available, each broth bowl comes with plenty of proteins and greens to choose from!
Greenwitch is located at Plaza 8, 1 Changi Business Park Crescent, #01-24A, SG 486025
3. Smoked duck salad with spinach omelette by Wafuken
Carbohydrates may be your worst enemy when combating the afternoon snooze. Instead, go for a protein-rich meal like Wafuken’s smoked duck salad with spinach omelette!
Loaded with proteins and iron, this recipe offers a slow energy release and helps regulate oxygen flow. Easy and hassle-free, this is one salad that will power you through the entire day.
Recipe: Smoked duck salad with spinach omelette
A) Ingredients for smoked duck salad:
100g smoked duck
40g mesclun salad
½ avocado, diced into cubes
1. Sear the skin side of the smoked duck till slightly charred.
2. Slice the smoked duck into 0.5cm thick slices (or to your preference).
3. In a salad bowl, toss the mesclun salad and diced avocado lightly until incorporated.
4. Place smoke duck slices on the salad mixture and set aside.
B) Ingredients for spinach omelette:
20g spinach (fresh or frozen)
A pinch of salt and pepper to season
1. For fresh spinach, submerge the leaves in a large bowl of cold water. Swirl the spinach leaves with your hands to dislodge any dirt. Drain and repeat until the leaves are clean.
2. Slice the fresh spinach leaves into thin slices and set it aside.
3. For frozen spinach, defrost 20g of spinach and set it aside.
4. In a bowl, beat the eggs until yolk and egg whites are combined.
5. Add spinach into the beaten eggs and mix till incorporated.
6. Place the frying pan over a medium heat and add in a drizzle of cooking oil (recommend to use olive oil).
7. Add in your egg and spinach mixture and let the egg cook till it is less runny (Do lower the heat to prevent the bottom from burning).
8. Once the mixture is slightly set, fold the omelette into half and let it cook through.
9. Once fully cooked, remove from heat and plate it up to serve.
If you find it a hassle to get smoked duck from major supermarkets, Wafuken provides individually packed sous-vide smoked duck available on order.wafuken.com.
Wafuken is located at Asia Square Tower 2, 2 Marina View, #02-05, SG 018961
4. Cabbage roll with soy milk by ABC Cooking Studio
Craving for some Japanese fare? Savory, healthy and light, ABC Cooking Studio’s cabbage roll with soy milk is a definite crowd favourite among the ladies. Using plant-based soy milk as a soup base, this dish is a detox recipe that is gentle on the stomach and great for weight-watchers.
Recipe: Cabbage roll with soy milk
4 pieces of chinese cabbage
Cake flour, as needed
100g minced chicken
A pinch of salt and black pepper, to season
50g soft tofu
5g minced ginger
80g minced onion
1 tsp soy sauce
400cc soy milk
1 tsp consommé
40g chopped carrot
50g chopped broccoli
- Trim off the cabbage core. Spread the cabbage on a cling wrap, wrap it gently and microwave at 500W for 3-4 minutes.
- Wrap tofu with a kitchen towel and place it in a heat-resistant bowl. Microwave at 500W for 1 minute.
- Add minced chicken, salt and black pepper into a bowl. Mix well until a sticky mixture is achieved.
- Tear tofu up into rough pieces and add in minced ginger and onion, soy sauce into mixture. Mix well.
- Spread a piece of cabbage on a plate and sift some flour onto the cabbage.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions. Place 1 portion onto the piece of cabbage. Fold both edges and roll it up. Repeat for the remaining ingredients.
- In a pot, add in soy milk and consommé. Heat it up just before boiling. Next, add in all the cabbage rolls and simmer until cooked through.
- Add in chopped carrot and broccoli and cook under medium heat for 1 minute.
- Plate and sprinkle a dash of black pepper to serve.
|ABC Cooking Studio is currently offering up a trial lesson for all first-timers and non-members. Enjoy a special rate of $35 (U.P. $48) if you book online at https://abc-cooking.com.sg/lessons/trial/. Sign up now before the promotion ends!|
ABC Cooking Studio outlets are located at:
Westgate, 3 Gateway Drive, #03-01, SG 608532
Funan, 107 North Bridge Road, #02-29, SG 179105
5. Wholemeal walnut bread by Phoon Huat
Pair a few slices of this rustic wholemeal walnut bread with a piping hot bowl of soup and viola, your cosy lunch is all set. A change up from savoury lunch options, this recipe is perfect for the sweet tooths. Moist, tender and high in dietary fibre, this bread recipe brings out the nutty fragrance in walnuts - that by the way, helps control glucose levels and prevents tiredness. Just remember to consume in moderation to avoid a carb overload!
Recipe: Wholemeal walnut bread
250gm RedMan bread flour
½ tsp RedMan Fine Sugar
6gm RedMan yeast
1 tsp salt
50gm RedMan wholemeal flour
10gm RedMan shortening
30gm RedMan walnut, chopped
- Add all ingredients into a mixing bowl except the salt, shortening and chopped walnuts. Mix well into a dough.
- Add in salt and shortening into the dough.
- Next, mix in the chopped walnuts into the dough. Take out the dough mixture and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into two parts and shape it into a boule. Leave the dough to rest for another 20 minutes.
- Flatten the dough and roll it.
- Shape the flattened dough into a rounded loaf and put it on the baking tray.
- Proof it to double its size and bake at 200oC for 25-30 minutes.
- Take it out and put on the rack to cool.
Phoon Huat can be located islandwide. Find an outlet near you on https://www.phoonhuat.com/shop-locator/
Keeping track of the foods you eat during lunchtime is integral to keeping your energy levels up. Now that you are armed with these low-calorie recipes, it’s time to wave goodbye to the afternoon snooze and say hello to a full productive workday ahead.
Post it, win it!
Give these recipes a try and post them up on Instagram with the hashtag #WaysITakeCharge and stand a chance to win up to 2,000,000 STAR$ (equivalent to $2,000 worth of CapitaVouchers)! Curious to find out more about our #WaysITakeCharge contest? Full details here.
Articles you may also be interested in...