Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the CapitaLand Sustainability X Challenge?
Launched in September 2020 in conjunction with CapitaLand’s 2030 Sustainability Master Plan, the CapitaLand Sustainability X Challenge will source for innovations on a global scale to meet the Group’s sustainability targets aligned with business needs as set out in the Master Plan. It is the first sustainability challenge by a Singapore real estate company on a global scale. Through the challenge, CapitaLand will source and deploy impactful and scalable innovative solutions.
Following the restructuring of CapitaLand Limited into two distinct business entities – CapitaLand Investment (CLI), the listed real estate investment management business and CapitaLand Development, the privatised property development arm, the CapitaLand Investment 2030 Sustainability Master Plan continues to serve as a strategic blueprint for CLI’s sustainability journey. Read here to learn more about the CapitaLand Investment 2030 Sustainability Master Plan.
2. Who is CapitaLand?
CapitaLand Group (CapitaLand) is one of Asia’s largest diversified real estate groups. Headquartered in Singapore, CapitaLand’s portfolio focuses on real estate investment management and real estate development, and spans across more than 260 cities in over 40 countries.
Within its ecosystem, CapitaLand has developed an integrated suite of investment management and operating capabilities that supports its real estate businesses and platforms in building core competencies across the real estate value chain. With this full stack of capabilities, CapitaLand can optimise the strategies of its listed real estate investment management business CapitaLand Investment, and its privately held property development arm CapitaLand Development; to drive competitive advantage for its businesses.
CapitaLand places sustainability at the core of what it does. As a responsible real estate company, CapitaLand contributes to the environmental and social well-being of the communities where it operates, as it delivers long-term economic value to its stakeholders.
3. Why is CapitaLand presenting a sustainability innovation challenge?
CapitaLand launched its 2030 Sustainability Master Plan where we have set ourselves ambitious targets for the next decade. We want to source globally for new ideas and technologies to meet our bold sustainability ambitions and working with like-minded partners to create shared values.
CapitaLand believes in growing our business in a sustainable manner to create long-term value for our investors and improve the economic and social well-being of our communities. CapitaLand’s sustainability framework is centered around the ESG pillars - Environmental, Social and Governance. Recognising the urgent need for action against climate change, our sustainability goal is to be Net Zero for our scope 1 and 2 carbon emissions by 2050. Our 2030 carbon emissions reduction targets have also been validated by the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi), for the 1.5°C scenario, in line with the goals of the Paris Agreement. CapitaLand is one of the few Singapore-based companies with SBTi-approved carbon targets (Scope 1 and 2) aligned to the 1.5 degrees Celsius scenario for its extensive global operations.
4. Who is Agorize?
Agorize is one of the leading Enterprise Innovation management platforms.
At Agorize, we believe value creation comes from collective intelligence. We help organizations accelerate innovation by connecting companies and talents everywhere at scale, using the Agorize platform linked to our unique community of 5 million innovators.
We are passionate innovation experts. We have helped large organizations worldwide to deploy more than 1,000 platforms since 2011. Our clients use Agorize to discover and assess ideas, startups and top talent, as AWS, Bayer, Haagen Dazs, L’Oréal, PepsiCo, Singapore Airlines and since 2018, Enterprise Singapore has worked with us to organize SLINGSHOT.
Visit get.agorize.com for more information.
5. Who is eligible?
You are eligible if you are:
a. Aged 18 years or older;
b. Not an employee of CapitaLand Group or Agorize;
c. Not directly involved in the organisation of or judging of the Challenge;
d. Not immediate family members of any person directly involved in the organisation of or judging of the Challenge;
e. Proposing a solution that is at least at Technology Readiness Level 8 : The final product in its final configuration is successfully demonstrated through test and analysis for its intended operational environment and platform (ground, airborne, or space); and
f. All Submissions must: (a) be original work owned by the Participant(s); and (b) not violate or infringe upon any Intellectual Property Rights or proprietary right or other rights including but not limited to contract, copyright, patent, trademark, open-source license permissions, and/or privacy rights, of any other person or entity.
6. What are the challenge themes?
The themes are:
- Low carbon transition
- Water conservation & resilience
- Waste management & circular economy
- Health, safety, & wellness in buildings
Each theme has challenge statements that your solution should aim to address. More details can be found here.
7. What if my solution fits more than one theme?
We advise that you submit your solution in the theme where it has a competitive advantage. In the event that the shortlisting panel assesses that your solution is a better fit for another theme, you will be informed and given the option for your solution to be evaluated in the alternative theme.
8. How do I enter the challenge?
Submissions for the CapitaLand Sustainability X Challenge is open now and will close on 16 June 2023, 2359h Singapore Time (GMT +8).
9. What happens after applicants have registered their interest to participate?
All complete submissions have to be submitted on the Agorize platform here by 16 June 2023, 2359h Singapore Time (GMT +8). You will need to create an account in order to access the submission form.
Only submissions and supporting documents in English will be accepted for this challenge. You do not need to submit your certifications at this point. If you need to submit any certifications, the certifications can be in native language and does not need to be translated to English.
10. How are the Top (up to) 10 startups selected for the CapitaLand Sustainability X Challenge?
(1) Once submissions are closed, the Organiser gathers a panel of both CapitaLand and external industry experts in each area to do a first cull to select the top 50+ entries of which 30+ will be invited to submit a pre-recorded pitch video and deck for Selection Day. This number depends on the quality of submissions.
(2) During Selection Day, the shortlisted top 30+ entries will be reviewed by a panel comprising various CapitaLand Business Unit Leaders who will select 10 teams to advance to Demo Day. Submissions are selected based on the quality of their application, potential to create value for CapitaLand through a proof of concept or pilot, and their overall performance against the judging criteria set out for the Judging Panel.
(3) Up to top 10 shortlisted teams are required to accept the invitation to participate in the mentorship programme and pitch at the Demo Day event within 3 working days. In the event they fail to do so, their spot will be given to the next best submission.
11. Who will judge the projects and how?
Submissions will be reviewed and shortlisted by CapitaLand, Agorize and a panel of industry experts. For the CapitaLand Sustainability X Challenge Demo Day, a list and profile of judges will be published online prior to the event.
The submitted proposal must address the solution requirements stated under the relevant challenge statement. Projects will be judged according to the following criteria:
1. What is the extent of the solution in meeting CL’s 2030 Sustainability Master Plan targets?
2. Does the solution solve an existing problem in a more cost-effective or efficient manner?
3. How significant is the quantifiable cost reduction or avoidance relative to the cost and ease of implementation?
1. What are the technologies/ideals underpinning the proposal? Are they original or innovative?
2. Does the technology provide a new path to address energy & water efficiency, waste reduction, or healthy buildings/wellness?
- Potential to scale
1. How close is the solution to commercialisation and how much funding is required until then?
2. Can the solution be implemented in various countries for different property types?
12. When will I know if I’m shortlisted for Selection Day?
Teams/participants who are selected to progress into the CSXC 2023 Selection Day will be informed via email by August 2023. On Selection Day, teams/participants shall submit a pre-recorded pitch video and deck to a Selection Panel. Both the pitch video and deck must be in English language. The Top 10 teams/participants from Selection Day will be announced in a few days after CSXC 2023 Selection Day. The Top 10 teams/participants will enter the mentorship programme and pitch at CSXC 2023 Demo Day in October 2023.
13. What are my obligations if shortlisted?
Participants who are shortlisted as the Top 10 startups must:
(i) participate in the mandatory mentorship programme and training sessions between August to October 2023 where employees from the CapitaLand Group and partners it appoints would help the Participants understand the CapitaLand Group’s business units better, refine the value proposition of their Submission and prepare for the CSXC 2023 Demo Day;
(ii) participate and pitch in-person at the CSXC 2023 Demo Day scheduled in October 2023 and make a 5-minute live pitch about their Submission to the Judging Panel of the Challenge; and
(iii) answer the judges’ questions in a live 7-minute question and answer session after their pitch.
The Demo Day will be held in-person and broadcast live globally. This is subject to change and will be communicated accordingly.
14. Will the information in my submission be confidential?
The information you provide on your submission will only be available to the following:
- The CapitaLand Sustainability X Challenge organisers (to manage the submission platform)
- The shortlisting and selection panel (to evaluate your submission)
- The judges (to score your project)
- Our partners (to look for potential collaboration)
Your submission title and ideas may be announced in the public domain for the sole purpose of promoting the CapitaLand Sustainability X Challenge and its related events.
15. What are the awards of the CapitaLand Sustainability X Challenge?
The top 10 startups with the most ground-breaking solutions will get to pitch them at the CSXC 2023 Demo Day tentatively scheduled for October 2023.
Up to 10 startups will each be given an exclusive opportunity to pilot, test and implement their solutions with CapitaLand, with over S$1 million to cover the cost of piloting for all the chosen innovations. All costs required to undertake the testbedding may be covered by the project funding including (but not limited to) equipment and software costs, material and production costs, and manpower costs (excluding founders’ salaries). Travel and business development costs will not be covered. Manpower costs should not exceed more than 20% of the grant.
16. Where will the CapitaLand Sustainability X Challenge 2023 Demo Day be held?
This will be updated nearer to the date.